In 1946, Dad’s brother packed up his family and moved west from Texas to Oregon, where he lived for the remainder of his life. As the couple left home ~ leaving their parents and siblings and everything they had known ~ they promised faithfully to return every two years to see the family. While many people make such promises when they move far away from family, seldom does it work out that way. But my aunt and uncle made sure it DID happen, and they brought their children back to Texas every other summer for a month’s visit with both their families until their children were grown and their parents were no longer living. Even then, they came back whenever they could until their own health and age prevented it. Those visits were some of the highlights of my growing up years. And because of the connection by marriage between these two families, we all felt like “almost cousins.”
|The Copeland "Almost Cousins"|
Many of you email me comments on the blog, which I deeply appreciate. However, I think it would be interesting if everyone could read those comments as well. It is NOT as intimidating as you think to leave a comment. Below are the instructions in case you want to be brave and try a new thing!
- Go to the bottom of the blog. You will see a line that reads: "Posted by Judy Martin Bowyer." To the right of that sentence in small white letters it says "2 Comments" (or however many comments are there). Click on that comments sentence.
- This will display the comments (if any) that have already been posted. Below those is a white box that says "Leave your comment".
- Click inside the box and type your comment.
- Once you have done that, scroll below to see where it asks you to choose an identity. You can sign in with an existing account such as a Google Gmail account. But it's fine to choose anonymous and sign in there, which is faster. (If you don't want to be anonymous, type your name at the end of your comments!)
- Then just click the orange box Publish Your Comment and you are finished.
That's all there is to it!
You can also subscribe to the Blog so that you receive notifications when something new is posted. Again at the bottom of the post you have just read, below the comments, click on Subscribe to Posts. A box appears that essentially says "you can subscribe to this feed to receive updates when the content changes." Click on the SUBSCRIBE NOW button.